As summer fully kicks in I find myself craving light fresh salads that are easy to make and don’t take up too much time. This couscous summer salad is not only easy, it’s delicious and filling, like all the best salads often are and most importantly it’s super healthy and rich in nutrients.
This bright salad can be eaten on it’s own (as I often do) or it can be an accompaniment to a grilled chicken breast or any fish, I usually opt for an oily fish like salmon, trout or mackerel.
With a very simple base of rocket, tricolor tomatoes, and couscous, there’s nothing you can’t do. You can add or swap just about anything to this summer salad and it will still be tasty. If you are not a fan of couscous, quinoa works just as well.
What you’ll need:
- Couscous (or quinoa) cooked to packet specification
- Tricolor tomatoes cut in half
- Mozzarella cheese cut into bite sized cubes
- A fresh bag rocket
- Ripened avocado cut into bite sized cubes
- Crushed almonds (optional)
For the dressing:
- Basil pesto (I usually us a store bought one, but if you want to make your basil pesto go for it)
- Plain greek yogurt
- Salt and pepper for taste
- Half a lemon
Constructing your salad:
- For the dressing mix the basil pesto, a spoon of the plain greek yogurt, salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon.
- In a large bowl mix together the cooked couscous (quinoa) and the basil pesto dressing you’ve just made, make sure the couscous is fully coated with the dressing.
- Toss the tricolor tomatoes along with the mozzarella, avocado, rocket and the crushed almonds into the couscous mixture and serve as desired.
Now it’s time to dig in and enjoy your delectable couscous summer salad.